I was startled, astonished and dismayed when a colleague told me she got all her news from Facebook. I thought about how no one reads news articles anymore. If something is more than 750 words it better have a lot of photos to soften the reading burden. I digress. Facebook is a way for people to connect with past friends and people one just met at a business mixer. There’s no rhyme or reason to Facebook friendships. People cycle through a series of emoyiond on Facebook and even openly air their lover’s spats. Someone may be tputing the great work of their non-profit in onr post and in the next they are breaking up with their partner of 5 years. Taking that into account it seems bizarre to me that people should rely so heavily on Facebook for their news. Apologies, for I have continued to digress.
On Facebook there are all sorts of personality quizzes that one can take. I suppose people take them for fun, to pass the time away. Despite that, I imagine some people take them seriously and feel that they are gaining self-insights.
Let me share my recent insights.
1. My gangster name is Iceman. I was wishing for something cooler. Why couldn’t I have been Serpico? However, I did consider the fact that I once fired 5 people in one day. Maybe Facebook is right and I am the iceman.
2. My personality color is green signaling that I go with the flow of things. I thought is was that I was money hungry. Nice to know it’s completely the opposite.
3. I should actually be a magician because I am talented and swift with my tricks. That just sounds like a different career, if you catch my drift…
4. Speaking of magic, my magical quality is that of having a mother’s hearty full of beauty, kindness and love. Who writes this stuff?
5. In terms of emotions, I am excited because I am a very positive person and I love everything in life.
6. Apparently, I look 16 because I have love in my heart. Love keeps one young. Facebook has discovered the fountain of youth and we still keep buying rejuvenation makeup. Sigh.
7 . I hate Bullshit. I didn’t need Facebook to tell me that but it did. Thanks for the heads up. Answer me this: who doesn’t hate BSC? Facebook may be onto something here.
All this useless information. Couldn’t we pick up a real news article to read where we could maybe learn something useful about the world? And you thought this whole time I had digressed. See, I circled back. I’m winking here. Although, sadly, there is not much real news reporting out there in the real world. That’s a story to follow.